Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is this room getting smaller?

The purpose of our stay is for the doctors to capture some of Ahnya's seizures and pinpoint the area in which they are coming from.  From this information, we will be able to come up with a game plan. 

Well, I'm happy(?) to say that this little girl has been seizure-free the entire visit here at Mayo.  We have sleep-deprived her and pretty much taken her off all anti-seizure medication...all of which should make it more likely for her to have seizures for them to record while we are here.
...
...
...
Just what I was thinking...
...
...
Now what? 

When it came time to pray for our dinner tonight, I paused for a moment when I asked for protection over Ahnya.  I quickly came to the realization that the very prayer I have pleaded to God over the last 14 months was being answered.  I am often huddled over Ahnya's bed at night, listening to that sweet child ask her Father in heaven to take away her seizures.  My heart skips a beat when she says, "Maybe He'll answer my prayer tomorrow, Momma.  Maybe tomorrow will be the day."  As a parent, how do you teach your young child the relationship between faith and prayer - between God's will and prayer?  Well, I think I'm the one learning from her.  This is best described by a conversation between Ahnya and one of her nurses today.

Ahnya has been hooked up to wires...on her toes...on her head...on her chest...everywhere!  It is a big mess!  Because of that, she can't leave her hospital room at all.  She eats, sleeps, plays, reads, does her crafts, and drives us crazy in that tiny room.  She is such a rockstar and has been truly amazing the last five days (she was admitted on Wednesday).  She hasn't complained much, or constantly said that she's bored.  She stays busy with pbskids.org and the crafts they bring to her.  We also have watched the movie Up five times. :-)  Well, today she was tired, irritated, and started showing some unacceptable behavior.  The techs keep coming in and adjusting the leads on her head, so this doesn't help.  After being denied sympathy from her grandmother and myself, she tried it out on the nurses.  She was complaining to them that she was tired of us and that we 'didn't know anything'.  The nurse said, "Well, your mommy knows a lot, but I don't know anyone that knows EVERYTHING.  Do you, Ahnya?"  Ahnya sat up immediately and proclaimed, "Yes I do.  Jesus does." 

I don't know what tomorrow will bring.  Ahnya may have a seizure or two and give us the information we need.  Or, the doctors may send us on our way with a "hold" in our plans to see if seizure activity comes back.  Or, I might be here another three days... waiting... :-).  As I drift off to sleep tonight, I am comforted that God is already there - He already knows.

Humbly,
Melissa

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update. We have been thinking of you and your sweet little girl and are so very hopeful that you will get what you need while you are there. I saw Jonathan a few days ago and he is hanging in there. If you guys need anything, please don't hesitate to call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you so much. Continue to be in awe of your strength and courage. Hang in there the answers are not always predictable. I pray God gives you peace in the process. Love you, Susie xxoo

    ReplyDelete